Black mat electroless nickel plating
Black mat electroless nickel consists of an electroless Kanigen® nickel plating, with a second electroless nickel plating layer, with specific wt% P, on top. That top layer is then passivated until a uniform mat black colour occurs.
This layer, perfectly black and mat, without irrisation, combined with a high phosphorus electroless nickel coating, allows us to serve markets in search of a visual aspect combined with specific chemical, mechanical and optical (absorption and emission) properties.
The corrosion resistance is determined by the high phosphorus electroless nickel layer, whose thickness is determined depending on the needs of the customer.
The electroless nickel process makes it possible to treat a broad spectrum of metals that are used in industry. The most common that are found at Kanigen Group are: construction steel, alloyed steel, cast iron, stainless steel, aluminium alloys, copper alloys, ...
We also treat more uncommon materials like : silver (Ag), INVAR, 17-4 PH, … .
Properties of black electroless nickel
- colour: mat black (22 on L.A.B. scale), homogeneous and uniform, repeatable without irrisation
- hardness: 8H (pencil hardness)
- UV stable
- good UV absorption and IR emission
- good corrosion
- military connectors for Telecom
- "stealth" applications
- direct integration into weapons systems
- laser and optical application
- vacuum applications
The strengths of the Kanigen Group
- This plating is released by several system builders, leaders in their industry segment.
- Our bath dimensions are 1500 x 650 x 650 mm
Global opening of the market thanks to black mat electroless nickel
" A company specialised in the production of machined parts for the glass fibre industry was looking for a solution for one of its clients. Due to higher production temperatures on the new generation extrusion moulds, the plating used on the cooling system did not comply with the requirements anymore. "
"4 properties were important in this project :
- an uniform deposit
- an excellent corrosion resistance
- black mat colour to be able to see fibre rupture
- resistance to high temperature in a corrosive environment. "
Thanks to the solution of black mat electroless nickel offered our client was not only able to maintain his existing market, but was also able to produce parts for all over the world.